The best telescopic fishing rods balance portability, durability, and performance. Consider corrosion-resistant materials, weight, power, and action when choosing the right travel rod for your needs.
The KastKing Blackhawk II is my top choice because it is extremely durable and sensitive enough to feel subtle bites. It is made from a 24-ton carbon matrix and graphite material blank. It is available in 14 different sizes, and is ideal for anglers looking for a telescopic fishing rod that doesn't suffer from poor performance.
A fishing rod that can be folded and extended to varying sizes is called a telescoping fishing rod. This fishing rod can be either standard pocket rods or those with a reel setup. These rods have high-quality construction, elegant design, and higher weighing capacity.
Telescoping rods have a collapsible design that makes them portable. Without the ease of portability, a fishing rod cannot be taken along when you travel to far-off destinations.
- Wide Range of Lengths, Actions, and Powers
- 24-Ton Carbon Matrix
- Saltwater Ready
- More Expensive Option
- EVA Grip
- Stainless Steel Reel Seat
- Aluminum Oxide Guides
- Medium-Power Rating
Table of Contents
1. KastKing Blackhawk II Telescopic Rod
It’s no secret that KastKing has been producing great quality telescopic rods for several years. The brand’s Blackhawk II Telescopic Fishing Rod is the newest option from KastKing and offers plenty of reasons to include it among my list.
The rod is crafted 24-ton carbon matrix and graphite material blank, making it highly durable and sensitive enough to allow anglers to feel the most subtle bites. One of most attractive characteristics about the Blackhawk II is that it can be ordered in a wide variety of 14 different sizes and styles to fit each angler’s own preference.
Anglers can choose from spinning or casting style rods made for freshwater fishing and saltwater angling in the surf and flats of coastal areas. This particular rod might be a bit more expensive, but it offers superior quality and construction and a quick assembly that can be used anywhere.
If you want to pick a high performance telescoping rod without blowing your budget, the Kastking Blackhawk II is ideal for you.
- Type: Spinning and Casting
- Lengths: 6’6″ to 8’0″
- Action: Fast-Medium to Moderate-Fast
- Power: Light to Heavy
- Line Weight: 6 to 25 lb
- Lure Weight: 1/8 to 1 oz
- Guides: 9+1
- Weight: 4.05 to 5.95 oz
- Made from a 24-ton carbon matrix and graphite material blank, making it durable and sensitive
- Suitable for both freshwater and saltwater fishing, including surf and flats in coastal areas.
- Anglers can choose from 14 different sizes and styles, accommodating individual preferences and fishing techniques.
- The Blackhawk II is more expensive than the other options on the market.
- Requires some quick assembly.
2. Plusinno Telescopic Rod and Reel Combo
The Plusinno Fishing Rod and Reel is arguably the best telescopic rod and reel combo currently on today’s market. It’s made of premium quality components and is highly portable thanks to its lightweight design. Anglers who enjoy hiking deep into the wilderness will appreciate the ease with which the Plusinno packs in with the rest of their gear.
The rod is made of a carbon fiber material blended with fiberglass to provide ample stiffness and rod action to catch and land most small to medium-sized freshwater and saltwater fish species. When fully extended, the rod is rated at medium power, which is ideal for a wide range of different types of fishing.
The entire rod and reel is capable of collapsing into a compact length of about 20 inches. The reel contains 12 bearings to create an exceptionally smooth casting experience with any fishing line anglers prefer to use. The stainless steel hooded reel seat helps reinforce the overall rigidity needed to reel in your catch. The Plusinno Rod and Reel is a solid blend of performance and capability, making it an easy addition to my list.
- Lengths: 5’8″ to 8’9″
- Material: Carbon Fibre
- Type: Spinning
- Reel Seat: Stainless Steel
- Guides: Aluminum Oxide
- Grip: EVA
- The compact design allows anglers to carry it easily while hiking or traveling to remote fishing locations.
- The rod’s medium power rating makes it suitable for many fishing types and for catching small to medium-sized fish species in freshwater and saltwater environments.
- The Plusinno Fishing Rod is made of high-quality materials, ensuring durability and performance.
- It is unsuitable for anglers targeting larger fish species due to its medium power rating.
- No options for customization
3. QudraKast Telescoping Rod and Reel Combo
Another worthy addition to my list is the QudraKast Fishing Rod and Reel. Anglers will find that this rod and reel combo comes with an array of tackle and gear items that serves as everything one needs to hit the water and start catching fish. This is easily one of the more high-quality telescopic rod and reel combos you’ll find as the rod itself is crafted from a blend of carbon fiber and fiberglass that provides ample amounts of flexibility while still maintaining good overall strength.
The telescopic pole contains graphite material that helps give this model a surprising amount of sensitivity. This combo is designed for fresh and saltwater fishing and can be ordered in four sizes. The reel is a standard 3000 sized spool with added ball bearings for a smoother cast and corrosion resistant capabilities.
- Material: Graphite
- Type: Spinning
- Lengths: 6’3″ to 8’9″
- Line Weight: 5 to 15 lb
- Weight: 5.3 to 10.6 oz
- The rod is made of a blend of carbon fiber and fiberglass, providing flexibility and strength for various fishing situations.
- Includes a range tackle, making it an all-in-one solution for anglers.
- The combo can only be ordered in four different sizes, which may not accommodate all anglers’ preferences.
- The 3000 sized spool is a standard option and is not be ideal for those seeking more specialized or advanced features.
4. Sougayilang Telescopic Fishing Rod
Sougayilang has a well-known reputation in the fishing industry for producing quality gear items for an affordable price. The Sougayilang Fishing Rod is another worthy choice. It is made of high-quality materials and is a good choice for serious anglers.
This rod is made of a 24-ton carbon fiber blank material strong enough to land various fish species. It’s made with anti-corrosion components and materials, making it an ideal choice for coastal fishing, as well as freshwater angling. The rod can be ordered in six sizes ranging from 5’9” feet up to 9’8” feet in length.
The Sougayilang Fishing Rod is made with stainless steel line guides fitted with ceramic rings for a smooth casting experience, even when using braided line. This is another rod that can collapse down to just under 20 inches, making it an ideal choice for anglers who are looking for a smaller package.
- Lengths: 5’9″ to 7’9″
- Type: Spinning
- Material: High-Density Carbon Fiber
- Guides: SiC Ceramics
- Reel Seat: Stainless Steel
- Grip: EVA
- Weight: 5.3 to 7.9 oz
- The 24-ton carbon fiber blank material and anti-corrosion components make the rod suitable for freshwater and coastal fishing.
- The rod is available in six sizes, catering to various angler preferences.
- It does not come with a reel or other gear, which might require additional purchases.
- While the rod is a good choice for serious anglers, those looking for specialized or advanced features might find it lacking.
5. Plusinno Elite Hunter Telescopic Rod
The Plusinno Elite Hunter combo is another solid rod and reel from a company with much respect from anglers who prefer telescopic fishing rods. This one is made with IM6 Carbon Matrix technology known for being highly durable, yet packing in more than enough sensitivity for going after small to medium-sized fish species.
This model features stainless steel rod line guides that are combined with ceramic rings to cut down on the amount of friction in each cast. It’s made of a super lightweight reel seat material and a reel made with 8+1 MaxiDur Shielded Stainless Steel Ball Bearings.
Anglers can choose from four rod lengths ranging from 6 feet to 7’8″ feet. Each rod size can fold down into a super compact size of less than 16 inches, which is perfect for anglers working with limited space to store or pack their telescopic rod.
- Length: 6’0″ to 7’8″
- Retracted Length: 16 in
- Material: IM6 Carbon Matrix
- Guides: Stainless Steel
- The rod can be folded to less than 16 inches, making it ideal for anglers with limited storage or packing space.
- The stainless steel rod line guides and ceramic rings reduce friction for an improved casting experience.
- It is made with IM6 Carbon Matrix technology, offering durability and sensitivity for targeting small to medium-sized fish species.
- Limited size options, some anglers won’t find their preferred size.
- The rod’s design focuses on small to medium-sized fish species and doesn’t provide the power to target larger fish.
6. PLUSINNO Bronze Warrior Telescopic Rod
Like the other Plusinno models on my list, this is a high-quality telescopic rod and reel combo that is more than capable of handling most freshwater or saltwater game fish species. The rod is made of durable IM6 Carbon Fiber blank material capable of providing decent sensitivity.
It’s fitted with ceramic rings molded into stainless steel guides for added strength. The Bronze Warrior rod can be ordered in four different sizes that range from 1.8 meters to 2.4 meters depending on each angler’s own preference. Despite full-size length, each rod size is capable of collapsing down into 15 or 16 inches.
The Bronze Warrior combo’s reel is also made of high quality components. It’s crafted with a corrosion-resistant CNC machined aluminum reel seat and a 12 ball bearing system for incredibly smooth casting and retrieval.
- Material: IM6 Carbon Fiber
- Reel Seat: CNC Machined Aluminum
- Retracted Length: 16 in
- Guides: Stainless Steel
- Each rod size can collapse to 15 or 16 inches, making it easy to store and transport.
- Ceramic rings molded into stainless steel guides add strength to the rod.
- The Bronze Warrior combo offers only four size options, which won’t accommodate all anglers’ preferences.
- The high-quality components used in the combo result in a higher price compared to more budget-friendly options.
7. Plusinno Hongying Telescopic Rod
While the Plusinno Hongying Telescopic Rod and Reel Combo is listed at No. 7, there is a strong case for this model being the highest value option of any one we’ve listed. The rod is made of 24-ton carbon fiber material that’s blended with reinforced fiberglass composite to create an exceptionally strong product that still manages to have a good amount of flexibility.
It has stainless steel guides, ceramic inserts, and a reel seat made with corrosion-resistant CNC machined aluminum. This combo is perfect for saltwater or freshwater use and can stand up to the test against fish of all shapes and sizes. The rod comes in six sizes ranging from 1.3 to 2.7 meters in length, possibly collapsing to under 18 inches.
The Hongying’s reel is also made with exceptional quality as it features 12+1 corrosion-resistant stainless steel ball bearings for an overall smooth feel. The reel is a standard 3000 size spool that offers a collapsable, interchangeable handle for even better portability.
- Material: 25 Ton Carbon Giber
- Reel Seat: CNC Machined Aluminum
- Saltwater Ready: Yes
- Retracted Length: 18 in
- The combo features corrosion-resistant components, making it ideal for both saltwater and freshwater fishing.
- The 24-ton carbon fiber blended with reinforced fiberglass composite creates a strong yet flexible rod.
- The 3000 size spool is a standard option and isn’t suitable for those seeking specialized or advanced features.
8. Zebco Roam Telescopic Fishing Rod
Zebco is a name that anglers have grown to know and trust over the last few decades. Considering all the features and capabilities of the Zebco Roam Telescopic Fishing Rod and Reel combo, there’s no denying it’s among the best telescopic rods. This combo is made from top to bottom with simple, easy-to-use features that makes this option a great choice for beginner and novice anglers.
The rod is made of durable fiberglass material that’s lightweight and durable. While it can only be purchased in a 6-foot length, the Zebco Roam combo is a capable option for catching any freshwater fish species. It’s not rated for saltwater fishing, which may be one of the only drawbacks of the Zebco Roam combo.
The reel is a spincast model that comes pre-spooled with 10 pound test monofilament fishing line. It also offers a 3.6:1 ratio perfect for small to medium-sized lures and rigs. The rod is made as a moderate-fast action, medium-heavy power rating.
- Length: 6’0″
- Retracted Length: 18.5 in
- Material: Fiberglass
- Line Weight: 6 to 12 lb
- Lure Weight: 1/8 to 1/2 oz
- Action: Moderate-Fast
- Power: Medium-Heavy
- Guides: 3+1
- Zebco is a well-known and reputable name in the fishing industry.
- The rod is made of durable fiberglass material that is also lightweight.
- The Zebco Roam combo is only available in a 6-foot length, which won’t accommodate all angler preferences.
- The combo is not rated for saltwater fishing, limiting its versatility.
9. Sougayilang Telescopic Fishing Rod
This Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combo is only near the bottom of my top 10 list due to its slightly more expensive price tag when compared to other options. Nevertheless, it’s another high-quality option made by a reputable company with various other accessories covering almost everything an angler needs to go fishing.
The Sougayilang telescopic combo comes in three rod lengths ranging from 1.8 to 2.4 meters. Anglers will appreciate the fact that this model also has a padded carrying case, as well as fishing line and a few good lures to help get you started.
The rod is made of high-density carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass to ensure that anglers have high durability and bend to handle just about any fish. The reel features a 13 + 1 ball bearing system for an incredibly smooth performance.
- Material: High-Density Carbon Giber
- Length: 1.8 to 2.4m
- Accessories: Padded Carrying Case
- The reel features a 13 + 1 ball bearing system, ensuring a smooth casting and retrieval experience.
- The rod is made of high-density carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass for durability and flexibility.
- Includes various accessories, such as a padded carrying case, fishing line, and lures, providing an all-in-one fishing solution.
- The combo is available in only three rod lengths.
- The combo’s price tag is higher than other options, potentially making it less attractive to budget-conscious anglers.
10. Magreel Telescopic Fishing Rod
The Magreel Telescopic Fishing Rod and Reel Combo is all about power and sensitivity that’s both packed into a compact and lightweight package which anglers can take just about anywhere. This rod is crafted from 24-ton carbon fiber and fiberglass material specially designed for optimal sensitivity, letting anglers feel every bite.
This reel has quality, corrosion-resistant components such as a reinforced stainless steel main shaft and zinc alloy drive gear. The reel also features a CNC anodized aluminum spool that’s both lightweight and tough enough to handle any fish you encounter.
The rod offers stainless steel line guides with ceramic rings for an ultra-smooth casting experience. This is one of the few telescopic rods made to be an ultralight combo ideal for catching smaller-sized game fish. It’s perfect for trout anglers who prefer to pack a small, yet capable telescopic combo in with their hiking gear and travel deep into the mountains in search of the best rivers and streams.
- Material: 24-ton Carbon Fiber
- Guides: Stainless Steel
- Handle: EVA Grip
- Length: 5’9″ to 8’9″
- Offers a blend of power and sensitivity in a lightweight package.
- Stainless steel line guides with ceramic rings provide an ultra-smooth casting experience.
- The combo is designed for targeting smaller-sized game fish, making it ideal for trout anglers.
- It is primarily designed for anglers who prefer to hike deep into the mountains.
- The ultralight combo design is not suitable for targeting larger fish species.
Telescopic Fishing Rod Buying Guide
You can find many fishing roads on the market with great features such as a protective coating against seawater corrosion and an anti-reverse mechanism. There are so many exciting options that you may find it hard to decide which telescoping rod to buy.
Fishing is an exciting and fun-loaded experience. But it would be best if you were motivated to learn the nuances of fishing and up your game. Telescopic fishing rod allows you to fish anywhere across the country. That’s great news as you can pursue your passion wherever you go.
Let’s consider the features that a telescopic rod should have to be considered one of the best in its category.
A telescopic rod can be folded down to a small size and opened to its maximum size and to different sizes. What is the ideal maximum length for a telescopic rod? A longer rod will cast farther, but a shorter one will cast more accurately. A 7 feet long rod can be considered the base size for what can be considered longer or shorter.
A longer rod gives you more leverage with hook, distance, and cast, while a shorter rod can be the perfect gear in tight covers such as docks. In short, the fishing rod length depends on what size and fish you want to fish and where.
Durability and Reliability
The last thing you want to see during your fishing expeditions is your expensive telescopic rod snapping. This is common, so you must buy a strong, sturdy rod. The reliability of your fishing rod so that it will not give in during the action is a key consideration. Telescopic rods are as strong and reliable as any other rods.
Many of the telescopic fishing rods are made of fiberglass and graphite. These are strong materials, and your fishing rods made of these materials should be strong.
For heavy-duty fishing, traditionally crafted fishing rods are a better choice. For all other kinds of fishing, your telescopic rods are good if they are from reliable and trustworthy brands.
The most important feature of a telescopic fishing rod is its compactness and ability to fit in small storage spaces. They should fold to a small piece that can easily fit into your car’s trunk or backpack on a hiking trip.
A telescopic fishing rod is designed to fit into your car or backpack. Portability is a key feature of this kind of fishing gear. They are not made for deep-sea fishing per se. They work better in slow-moving water such as a lake or pond. Affordability is an essential feature.
A telescopic fishing rod will always be easy to set up and operate. It will be a beginner-friendly fishing rod. As such, there are no wild variations that you can find on the market.
The weight of your telescopic rod is important for two reasons. First, if the fishing rod is lighter, it will be easier to carry around. Second, when fishing, holding the rod for a longer duration becomes strenuous if it’s heavy. But your rod must use good quality materials to make it strong even with a lightweight structure.
The power of a fishing rod is its capacity to resist bending when a catch is hooked. Its ability to stay firm and stiff is an important criterion for choosing a telescopic rod. If your rod bends easily, it’s good only for small sized fishes. A fishing rod with higher power will allow you to catch bigger-sized games.
The action is the point the rod bends when pressure is exerted on it and at what speed it returns to its normal position. In terms of action, telescopic fishing rods come in 3 variants.
This fishing rod bends only a little and rapidly returns to its normal position. Because of this fast-action fishing rods are the best choice for big fish and game fishing.
This kind of fishing rod bends more than fast action fishing rods but less than slow action fishing rods. It also returns to its normal position faster than the slow action rods. This is a good choice when using the rod to fish both small and big.
This is the most flexible fishing rod that bends over its entire length and takes longer to return to its normal position. This type of fishing rod is best for catching small fish.
Telescopic rods are portable fishing rods that can collapse down to a size that can easily fit in your backpack, car, or boat. It’s designed for easy storage and carriage.
Usually, these rods are made with fiberglass, graphite, and stainless steel. They are lightweight, durable, and reliable fishing gear. But don’t buy a cheap model for a few dollars less.
Instead, you should always buy a collapsible fishing rod from a reliable company or brand. Usually, they have a high build quality and ergonomic design.